Saturday, February 20, 2010

Gift Card Tutorial

Last week I posted some gift card holders.  Some very kind visitors to my blog wondered how I made them.  So without further ado, may I present my very first tutorial!  As this if my first, there are bound to be mistakes and confusion, so if there is something here that makes no sense, please email me and I will try to clarify.

First I would like to say that I did not "invent" this gift card holder.  I think that the first time I made this was at a workshop of the uber talented Donna.  I really liked the design so I made sure that I jotted down the dimensions.  Since then I've discovered many different variations of the theme, but this seems to be the one that I turn to most often.

The supplies you will need:
4 1/4 x 11 card stock
2 7/8 X 4 1/8 patterned paper
1 1/4  7 card stock (for belly band)
1 1/8 X 7 patterned paper (for belly band)
Word Window punch
3/4 -inch circle punch
Adhesive
Strong Adhesive

For the sentiment:
scallop circle
1 3/8 circle
1 1/4 circle

Score the 4 1/4 x 11 piece of cardstock on the long side at 3, 5 1/2, and 8.

Fold it at the 5 1/2 score line then flip it over to fold in the opposite direction at the 3 and 8 score lines.  You will then have an "M" as shown.

Apply a strong adhesive to the inside of the "M" as shown.  Try to keep the adhesive as close to the edge as possible.  Remove the liner and adhere.

This is what it should look like.  Notice that I also used my corner rounder punch to round the corners of the gift card holder.  This is completely optional and depends upon your preference.

On the vertical piece in the last photo, I take an old gift card or credit card (or whatever you have that is the same size) and use it as a guide to mark the size of the opening that I will need.

I then use my Word Window punch inserted about half-way to make a slot for the gift card.  You can see the pencil lines I made to mark the size of the gift card.  I make sure that that punch is just slightly to the right of that line.  I repeat the same on the left side of the gift card holder.

Once you have punched with the Word Window punch on the left and right side, there is a little bit left in the center.  I use a 3/4-inch circle punch to make a little half-round slot.

Adhere your patterned paper to the front and back of the gift card holder.

For the belly band, I take the  1 1/4 x 7 piece of cardstock and beginning at about half-way on the gift card holder, I fold it around and adhere it with strong adhesive in the front.  Just remember that you want it to be somewhat loose so that you can slip it on and off easily, but not so loose that it slides off by itself. 

Once you have adhered the cardstock belly band, you can adhere the 1 1/8 X 7 patterned paper to the cardstock belly band.  I then attach a sentiment and place it over the seams of the belly band.

Easy Peasy!  I hope that you have enjoyed this tutorial.  Once you get the hang of it, it is really easy and I'm sure you'll find  yourself making it for lots of different occasions.  Please let me know if you have any questions about this.  Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments:

laurie said...

Thankyou! I want to try some this weekend!!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice job well done on the tute Jeanette! I hope you will join my $100 cash giveaway this week! Hugs~Donna