Wednesday, February 23, 2011

MOJO179 and SPCC88 Make Me Smile

I've really been reaching outside my comfort zone lately with color challenges.  Today I decided to give the Scrapmaster's Paradise Color Combos challenge a try.

I love Sahara Sand and Rose Red.  But Daffodil Delight?  Not so much.  I'm just not a yellow person, especially a bright one like that, but I wanted to see what I could come up with.  I thought the MOJO 179 sketch would be a good layout.

Originally I planned to use the Medallion stamp for the focal point of my card, but as I got going the card had other plans.  It's funny how that happens sometimes.  I've often heard authors speak about their books in the same way.  Somehow the {imaginary} characters in the novel are driving the storyline rather than the author!  As strange as that sounds, I find the same thing happens to me when I sit down to make a card.  I start out with one thing in mind, and end up doing something completely different because the card told me so!

Despite the unusual color combo, I'm pretty happy with how this turned out.  It's quite cheery and it's got a bit of bling!  I also discovered that the flower outline stamp from the Cottage Garden stamp set is a perfect match for the small flower in the Island Floral Bigz die.  I discovered that quite by accident as I was rooting around my desk for something to make the flower element a little more interesting.  At first, I just sponged the edges of the Island Floral small flower with Rose Red but thought it looked a little boring.  I happened to have my stamp-a-ma-jig nearby which had the Cottage Garden flower image stamped on it and decided to see if they matched up.  They did, so I stamped away, added a rhinestone brad, and was done!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have time to stamp today!

7 comments:

Christine said...

I like this Card a lot!
Great take at The color Challenge!

Cynthia said...

I just love this card. Your take on the colors are perfect!!

Lori Turner said...

Jen...I am *so glad* you decided to step out of your comfort zone and try our challenge this week! OMGOSH girl...this is GORGEOUS! I love it - it definitely has WOW factor! I sure hope you come back and play more with us :)

Lori - SP Color Diva

Vicky Hayes said...

I love it when you discover that something fits by accident! What a cheery card you've made!

Michelle said...

What a great take on these colours and the sketch. Love it!!! I have to agree it is very cheery :)

Stephanie said...

Absolutely gorgeous card! Thanks so much for playing with us at SPCC!

Allison said...

This card is beautiful! You made the colors work beautifully together! Thanks for joining us at SPCC this week!