Thursday, September 1, 2011

Color Throwdown 157 and Stamping 411 Sketch 218

I've been in a Crumb Cake mood a lot lately.  It seems that all the cards I've made lately have got some Crumb Cake in them so it was inevitable that this weeks color challenge at Color Throwdown featured it too.
This is a great color combo.  I think that Marina Mist is a lovely blue color and I should use it more often.  I feel like Bravo Burgundy is the forgotten color of the bunch.  It always seems to make an appearance around the holidays, then is quietly put away for a year until the holidays roll around again.  And Lucky Limeade needs no introduction.  It's just great all around.  So all this colorful goodness was put to use for the Stamping 411 sketch challenge.

I went WAY into the vault for some of the elements on my card.  Take a look and I'll explain.


For starters I used the wonderful flower from the Best Blossoms stamp set.  I have mentioned a time or two here that it is probably my all-time favorite stamp set and as I sat down to contemplate my card I realized that those flowers hadn't seen any ink in quite some time.  Then, I poked around my stash to see if I had any Bravo Burgundy designer paper.  I did not, but I did have something that was very close.  Back in olden days, when Stampin' Up! first decided to create the In Colors, there was a color called Cranberry Crisp.  I happen to have some Christmas designer paper that featured this color and it is a very close match to Bravo Burgundy.  So that's what the polka-dotted paper is on the bottom of my card. 

Now, if you'll indulge me for a bit I would like to reminisce about that first batch of In Colors.  I loved every one of those colors (with the possible exception of Marigold Morning).  The other colors were the aforementioned Cranberry Crisp, True Thyme, Cool Caribbean, Buckaroo Blue and my favorite, Vintage Violet.  The designer paper that I used on my card was from a pack called Holiday Thyme.  To this day, it is very likely my favorite designer paper and I rarely use it.  Every so often I take it out to admire it because I can barely bring myself to cut it.  I hope I'm not the only one who forms strange attachments to paper!

Anyway, thanks for joining me on my little trip down memory lane and for taking the time to visit.

6 comments:

Broni said...

Beautiful card, Jen! I love the linear look of the backgrounds with the curves of the flowers & stems! Thanks for playing along with us this week!

Patti Chesky said...

Wow! This is stunning!!! It's so clean and gorgeous!

Unknown said...

So beautiful!! Love the simple look of this card!!

Lori said...

So pretty! Love the crisp, clean design. Thanks for playing along in this week's Color Throwdown!

Suzanne Russell said...

Just beautiful, Jen! Love your style every time!!!

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

I so wish I had had time to play with this sketch! Must remember to check it out again ... when I am stuck for ideas. Hugs xxaxx