Friday, July 15, 2016

Tag You're It 51

I was shocked to find that I had some extra crafty time earlier this week so I made a tag for the latest challenge at Tag You're It.  There's still a week to go, so plenty of time to play along!


I tried to stay true to Donna's floral theme, watercolored background, use of washi tape, and enamel dots.  It is well documented here that I am not very good with watercolors but I decided to try my hand at them because I was just creating a splashy background for the flower.  No need to be precise with my coloring and if I messed it up I was prepared to call it artistic license.  To my shock, the background came out pretty good.  So I decided to jazz things up a bit by going over the tag with my brand-spankin'-new Gansai Tambi Starry watercolors.

Firstly, these shimmery watercolors are the bomb!  The photo here does not do the shimmer justice AT ALL so you will have to trust me that this looks amazing in real life.  Secondly, the picture seems to make it seem that the shimmer layer obscures my totally fabulous watercolor splash behind the flower.  Not true.  In real life the shimmer really enhances it.  And lastly I stamped the flower and leaves with my brand-spankin'-new Altenew inks.  I stamped the images onto SU Whisper White which, because of that coating it has allows the ink to sit on top of the paper rather than be absorbed into it.  Some paper is a little too porous for my taste and when it absorbs the ink it looks too dark and often the image looks splotchy.  I am quite impressed with these inks.  The color is beautiful and the images are very crisp.  So far I'm giving these inks an A+!

How fortunate that the current challenge at AAA Cards is to make a tag, so I'm going to add this there as well.


We are making a little change at Tag You're It.  Each challenge we will have a featured designer who will create the tag inspiration for our challenge.  How exciting!  This time around our designer is alumna Donna Mikasa!  You'll never know what to expect so make sure you visit and visit often!

Thanks for stopping by!

Supplies
Stamps:  Delightful Dahlia Additions (Papertrey Ink); Hand Lettered Hello (WPlus9)
Paper:  Distress Watercolor; Whisper White (SU)
Ink:  Frosty Pink, Coral Berry, Grapevine, Forest Glades, Frayed Leaf (Altenew); Onyx Black (Versafine); Gansai Tambi Watercolors, Gansai Tambi Starry Colors (Kuretake)
Accessories:  Traditional Tags STAX (My Favorite Things); Rose Red seam binding ribbon (SU); enamel dots (Doodlebug Designs); washi tape

8 comments:

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

What a great take on Donna's tag Jen! Just beautiful! Have a great day! Hazel xx
My Card Attic

Jane said...

Super sweet and pretty tag. Thanks for playing at AAA Cards.

Nancy said...

Incredible Tag Jen! Thanks for the 411 about the inks! You really did an incredible job!

Lisa Elton said...

Sigh...this is glorious Jen!!!

Karren said...

This is so pretty! I'm glad you're liking the Altenew inks. And I came so close to buy those Gansai starry watercolors last night, but told myself to step away from the computer and keep my debit card in my wallet :) Of course, I don't know how long my resolve will last - maybe 48 hours!

Petra Swart said...

Your watercoloured bg looks wonderful, Jen and my flower-lovin heart skips a beat looking at that stunning flower!!!!! Love the washi strip and the beautiful bow!!!! Wonderfully done and simply great!!!!
Have a great day!!!!
Hugz

Narelle Farrugia said...

Oh wow this is just stunning Jen! I am loving the details to this tag!

Patti said...

Ooooh! love your great take on this tag : )

You are off to a great start with your new Twist on Tag You're It! who doesn't LOVE Donna's work : )

Patti