Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Freshly Made Sketches 281

We've got a great new sketch for you this week at Freshly Made Sketches.  Our hostess is Kim and if you are one of those who like to put three of something on your cards you're going to love this one!



I think I've mentioned a time or two that when I have to put three of something on a card I tend to zone out and can't figure out what three things I should use.  So full truth here:  on this card I alternatively considered patterned paper, washi tape, and stamped images before finally settling on some baker's twine wound around a layer of cardstock.  That's actually a favorite little thing I do because I love how the baker's twine gives the card some texture and dimension.

I felt like a flower would fit nicely with the circle shape so I dug out an old favorite Verve set and stamped a big flower in purple.  I am quite sure it doesn't show up but the center of the flower is actually a little circle I punched of glimmer paper so it's quite sparkly in real life!  I got my colors for this card from the Sunday Stamps challenge.


Incidentally as I was perusing my stash of washi tape I discovered something.  I store my washi in little bins on my stamp desk and the spot where they are happens to get some afternoon sunlight.  I've got several rolls that are manufactured by Scotch and the washi is unique in that it has a bit of a shine to it.  (All my other washi is that thin papery style that has a matte finish).  Well, apparently the sun and that Scotch tape don't mix too well because all of those rolls have basically been cooking in the sun and the tape will no longer unwind because it's glued to itself.  When I do manage to get a piece off it is gummy and sticky and pretty much useless.  So word of warning:  keep your shiny and/or Scotch brand washi out of direct sunlight.

I hope you can join us at Freshly Made Sketches this week.  Our design team has made some beautiful cards to inspire you so be sure to check them out!

Supplies
Stamps:  Dream Big (Verve)
Paper:  Soft Stone (Papertrey Ink); Solar White (Neenah); Dazzling Diamonds Glimmer (Stampin' Up!)
Ink:  Royal Velvet (Papertrey Ink); Frayed Leaf, Forest Glades (Altenew)
Accessories:  Scalloped Flowers die, Dreamy Leaves die (Verve); baker's twine (American Crafts)

15 comments:

My Card Attic: Hazel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
My Card Attic: Hazel said...

HAH! You and I both! I posted my card and then came to check out the inspiration cards from the DT, and I have posted exactly the same thing . . . I couldn't think what three things to do either (perhaps, I should have checked out the inspiration BEFORE making mine LOL). What a great idea you have come up with though! Thanks so much! Luv n’ Hugs. Hazel xx
My Card Attic

Nora Noll said...

This is so pretty!! Love the clean and simple look. As for the Washi, mine does this sometimes too but it is NOT in the sun. Maybe it is just time? Beautiful card!!

snappy scrappy said...

So pretty and CAS! LOVE!

Linda Callahan said...

Ahhh those pesky threes! The twine looks great! I always think I will use washi tape for such sketches but I never do, I never know what to do with it! So,Emma plays with it! Pretty card!

Amy O said...

I love how you've used the baker's twine! And that flower looks beautiful against this crisp, clean card base. Bummer about the washi tape!

Lisa Elton said...

I like the twine for your stripes! And the bloom looks so springy. Pretty card Jen!

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

So beautiful! Love the wrapped baker's twine accents.

Karren said...

Baker's twine is a great way to use the sketch and the flower is so pretty. What a shame about the washi. I only own a few rolls and it sits unloved in a drawer.

Jen Brum said...

This card is so pretty Jen! I love that purple flower! It stands out so nicely! Love the twine stripes! What a creative idea! Love it!

Kim S said...

I tried a number of directions too - but twine hadn't occurred to me and it's an absolutely fabulous look!! LOVE it as a simple accent to your rich purple flower.

Jen Timko said...

Apparently you and I went through the same list of threes. I, too, decided on twine. And then I came back to check the sketch and their was your amazing example. Wasn't going to top this one, that is for sure! Lovely colors...that purple pop is so pretty.

Monika Reeck said...

wooow adorable flower and always love your simplicity on your card
great use the color combo too
Many thanks to joining our colour challenge this time
hugs
Monika

Narelle Farrugia said...

Your cards are always so elegant and pretty and I love how you used the prettiest of flowers!

Lisa said...

Such a lovely CAS card, great job with the colors!

Thanks for playing along with us at Sunday Stamps!